Whitney K. has gotten us started with two good sources:
1. A presentation from the Binational Toxics Strategy Mercury Workgroup
Toronto, Ontario – May. 17, 2006
2. A July 2008 article from the San Francisco Chronicle
Note the connection between slide #11 in the presentation and the article content.
1. Why is mercury released in cement production (which raw materials contain mercury)?
2. How is mercury released in cement production?
3. How and in what form does the mercury then enter the atmosphere?
4. How and in what form does mercury get absorbed/consumed by humans?
5. What are the potential health effects of mercury ingestion?
6. Is there empirical evidence that these effects are more pronounced in areas adjacent to cement plants?
7. What are the potential solutions?
8. Other questions we should think about?
Some of these are at least partially answered in the sources provided by Whitney, but more info is always a good thing.
Pick a question and go for it. Please cite your sources.