Monday, November 17, 2008

More on trees and carbon

Here's an article from the Vancouver Sun.

I was particularly taken by this quote:

"The initial thing that came out of this is that it's finally recognized that greenhouse gas emissions from deforestation is larger than emissions from vehicles, aircraft, ships and trains combined..."

And here is an article from ENN on Reduced Emissions from Deforestation and Degradation (REDD) credits.

1 comment:

Antonio Joyette said...

Hi Have to hand it to you Peter, you have developed the nack for finding these interesting stories.

Hmmm if this is the case i.e. .".that greenhouse gas emissions from deforestation is larger than emissions from vehicles, aircraft, ships and trains combined," and the UN estimates the such a contribution is 20% whats the other 80%? Hmmmm.

Are you sure its not capitalists talking again from the purse? Already its being said that deforestation is highest in third world or developing nations?

Are we saying indirectly that the developing countries are the most significant contributors to the increase in green house gases?

It environmental subject is becoming more interesting each day!....I will wait and see.